Project by Carol Heppner.
Create fun earrings with La Doll Natural Stone Clay. These asymmetric earrings are the perfect accessory to update your summer outfits. The earrings also make a wonderful Mother’s Day gift or something to give to a special teacher at the end of the school year.
La Doll Natural Stone Clay is lightweight and durable, which makes it an excellent choice for earrings. The earrings are very easy to create and only require very basic jewelry skills. If you are a first-time jewelry maker or clay enthusiast, this is the perfect project for you to try.
My Mom taught me the importance of using the correct tool for the job – mostly because the correct tool will make the job easier. She could have easily been talking about the Clay Roller Kit. This amazing kit helps you to roll out clay in a uniform thickness, which makes the earrings look professional. The kit comes with four sets of rails, a work surface and a clay roller. A set of rails are placed on the sides of the work surface and lift the clay roller to the desired height, in order to produce a uniform thickness from 1/16 to 1/4-inches.
Once the clay is rolled to the desired thickness, it is transferred to an vegetable cutting mat, where you then use icing decorating metal tips to cut the clay circles.
Materials Needed for Air Dry Clay Boho Earrings
Clear hand sanitizer
Pearlescent pigment powders: gold, blue (note: artist used Jacquard’s Pearl Ex Pigments)
Clear nail polish (optional)
Silver jewelry chain
5mm Jump rings
Clay Roller Kit with the 1/16-inch rails
Cutting mat (inexpensive veggie cutting mat)
Icing decorating tips, #2, #2D
Small bowl with water
Paper clip or safety pin (to create a hole in the top of the earring)
Craft paint brush
Cookie rack (to dry the clay earrings)
Instructions for Creating Air Dry Clay Boho Earrings
- Use the Clay Roller Kit to roll out a golf-ball size piece of La Doll Clay to 1/16-inch thickness.
- Transfer the rolled clay to a cutting mat.
- Use the wide end of the icing decorating tips to cut one small circle (#2) and one large circle (#2D).
- Remove the cut circles from the rest of the clay.
- Dip your fingers in water and then run your wet fingers around the edges of the clay to smooth the edges. Smoothing the edges reduces the need to sand the clay once it dries.
- Use a paper clip or a safety pin to create a hole in the top of the cut circles. A jump ring will go through the hole, so make sure the hole is large enough to fit the diameter of the jump ring.
- Create lines on the bottom of the circles by pressing the dull side of the craft-knife blade onto the clay circles. As shown in the photos, the lines do not cut through the circle, rather the lines give the impression of flower stems.
- Use the tip of the paper clip to create four or five dots around each line. These dots give the impression of flower petals
- Place the circles on a cookie rack to dry. Once the clay circles are dried, they can be painted.
- Place a small amount of hand sanitizer onto a piece of waxed paper. Mix the blue pigment powder with an adequate amount of hand sanitizer to make the “pigment-powder paint” the consistency of “water-color” and then apply this blue mixture to the top of the circles. The hand sanitizer will dry quicker than water.
- Mix the gold pigment with the hand sanitizer and then apply the gold mixture to the top of the circles. Let dry completely. Apply a thin coat of clear nail polish if desired.
- Use the pliers to twist open a link in the chain, in order to remove a 1 to 1 ¼-inch length of chain. Twist open a jump ring and then slip the end of the chain through the jump ring. Place the jump ring through the hole of the large clay circle and then twist the jump ring to close it. Twist open a second jump ring, slip it through the opposite end of the chain and then add the earring finding. Twist the jump ring closed. Repeat the previous step to create the second earring with the smaller clay circle; however, before closing the final jump ring with the earring finding, add the gemstone charm.
Wear your beautiful new boho earrings and enjoy!